EVER THE ROAD GOES ON

Living the questions and trying to think theologically... and practically. Learning that these things are more synonymous than I once thought.

Name:
Location: Dallas, TX

Monday, October 31, 2005

Love God. Embrace Beauty. And Live Life to the Full. Kyle closed every service with these words. He lived them, and he taught me so much about living them.

I spent most of today helping take care of Kyle's three children and his six nieces and nephews, all under five. The kids are doing as well as they can be.

Visitation was tonight. It was really hard. Probably over a thousand people were there.

A few of us went to Cricket's afterwards. It's a favorite UBC bar and grill. It was good to be together. Josh and I walked out of the resturant and into the parking lot, and we saw Dee for the first time in a long time. She is a homeless who hangs out around the Whitehouse (Waco's version of Portland's GraceLand or Testosterhome.... if you haven't read Donald Miller you really should)and Josh and his roommates have befriended her. We bought her supper and gave her a ride. Josh explained what had happened. I expected her to not say much about it for some reason, but when we stopped the car, she took my hand and Josh's hand, and she prayed for us. I can't put it into words right now, but I think it might have been one of the most beautiful kingdom of God moments I've ever been a part of. This African American woman who barely has a roof over her head prayed for my pastor's family and our fairly affluent and prodominanately caucasian church. Like I said, I can't really explain it now, but it was something pretty huge.

The funeral is tomorrow at 1:30 (well now that would be today actually). Please continue to pray for our community. We will be meeting in Truett Seminary Chapel for the next several weeks. I don't know if I can answer all the e-mails I've gotten, but know that all of you are appreciated. Keep reading my blog for updates.

2 Comments:

Blogger John said...

Thank you for blogging about this. I can't imagine how hard this is for your community. Know that there are people all over the country mourning with you, but of course not feeling the pain that you all feel.

7:26 PM  
Blogger SG said...

Not sure how I fiund this blog, but want you to know that the Lakes and the family at UBC are by name on the lips of thousands of people you may never know or see. Churches, all kinds of churches, are bringing you all before the Father every minute of the day. I hope you all feel how much we mourn with and for you. I am so very sorry for your loss.(I think you know my sister Sari.)

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home