EVER THE ROAD GOES ON

Living the questions and trying to think theologically... and practically. Learning that these things are more synonymous than I once thought.

Name:
Location: Dallas, TX

Sunday, January 01, 2006

A Holy Click and a New Year

New Year’s has been almost as great as Christmas was hectic. It just reminds me that life can be good and crazy at the same time. I got to spend the last moments of ’05 and the first moment of ’06 with friends at Candace and Scott’s wedding and with more friends at Tom and Craig’s place. It was great to be with all of you. Seriously. You have made me love being in Waco, TX, and there was a time not long ago when I thought that was impossible.

Ubc met at Truett today. I can’t wait for you all to hear the new song. (Maybe he’ll sing it at passion. If you are reading this from Nashville, you should skip whatever you are doing on the off chance you might get to hear it.) I knew there would be songs to come out of the experience of the last few months. I’ve been anxious to hear them, and this song makes me all the more anxious to hear the next. I cannot explain how incredible it is. The chorus says something like, “You make everything glorious (3x), and I am yours so what does that make me?”

I’m glad I first heard those words at Truett. It made me think of something I first heard upstairs two years ago. I can’t keep up with all they try to teach us in seminary. Sometimes it seems like the deep mysteries and complexities of the Trinity are flying at you faster than you could possibly process them. Thankfully, some things stick in your mind even though you don’t grasp them at the time. While I was listening to this song, I remembered a quote from a church father. After about a nanosecond on google, I rediscovered that it was Irenaeus. He said, “the glory of God is man fully alive.” Needless to say, it was one of those “holy click” kind of moments. You know the ones. They happen when you finally grasp a truth you’ve heard or maybe even preached for so long. Sometimes they happen for no real explainable reason, and sometimes events and relationships point you to truth with marquee lights. I guess that life is often our most thorough teacher.

So thanks Irenaeus for sharing your holy click with us.
Thanks Dr. Roger Olson for making us read original texts in Text and Tradition I.
Thanks Dave for your song.
Thanks Craig for you prayer.
Thanks Kyle for your life and your words.
Thanks UBC for letting me live life with all of you.
And thank you God for all you are and what you have created us to be.

My new year’s resolution- be fully alive. People sometimes use “glorify God” or the “glory of God” like so many other Christian clichés. I’ve never understood the idea of God’s glory and my involvement with that like I understood it today. That doesn't seem to be so much of a cliche for us. Maybe it’s because we give a little more definition to the idea of glorifying God when we say, “As we approach this week, may love God, embrace beauty, and live life to the fullest." Maybe it's because I see people trying to live that out with all that they have, and in the process, I know I am loved.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard the new song at Passion and was there when I got your message! Happy New Year to you, too! I hope to be giving you a call soon but for now I have lost my voice. I met some people at the Truett booth who know you-Katie and Vernon. Hope all is well and do you think you could arrange for me to have lunch with David Crowder sometime?-adrienne

9:19 PM  
Blogger One of Us said...

Hey there far away friend!! It's been awhile since I've talked to you and wanted to let you know I've still been checking up on you through your blog and through secret agent spies taking pictures of where you go and what you do. Anyways, holla at ya boy sometime! Hope everything is glorious in your life and I'll look forward to hearing from you in the near future!!

Peace,
Grayson

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home