EVER THE ROAD GOES ON

Living the questions and trying to think theologically... and practically. Learning that these things are more synonymous than I once thought.

Name:
Location: Dallas, TX

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Dallas: Should I Stay or Should I Go?

Today I went to Central Market for Organic Milk, one of the only things I'll buy there, and there was a jazz band playing on the second level. I felt like a total snob for being there, and living in such a place, but I guess I should appreciate it on some level. There is a lot to do here, and I've met a few cool folks. I love Journey. I love the State Fair of Texas. I love being relatively close to Waco. I love the skyline, but I hate the traffic and not being able to see the stars.

I hate not having a job that can support me. Right now, I'm baking cookies (seriously, that's what I'm doing) for a living and it doesn't even begin to cover the rent. I don't like being a financial burden on my family. I been thinking about moving to Memphis to teachj. It's as close as I would ever be to home, and it seems like a financially wise decision, but I'm afraid I might be miserable there- a place deeper in the Bible belt, less appreciative of women with M.Div.'s, and less likely to know what it means to be a missional community. Does it even make sense for a young woman like myself to be in such a place? Maybe not, but being dirt poor and going into more debt doesn't make sense either.

Oh well. That's what I'm praying about, what's keeping me awake at night these days.

2 Comments:

Blogger Katie said...

I can look for you in DC...seriously, there are some job openings here.

9:03 AM  
Blogger D.R. said...

As a lifelong Memphian, I would like to know why Memphis is a place that would be "less likely to know what it means to be a missional community." Please explain.

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home