EVER THE ROAD GOES ON

Living the questions and trying to think theologically... and practically. Learning that these things are more synonymous than I once thought.

Name:
Location: Dallas, TX

Monday, November 14, 2005

Another Year, Another Candle on the Cake

In light of everything that's happened these past two week, part of me wanted to cancel my birthday this year. Part of me feels a little guilty in celebrating it, but the better part of me knows that is a silly thought. It was good, however. It was good because it made me feel loved, and I needed that. I got a massage which was very relaxing and timely, and a ton of good wishes on facebook. My roommate left me a string of gifts in different places today, which lead up to the ultimate gift I got at Outback tonight. Are you ready for this? Drumroll.......................

A Ticket to the premiere of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire in Dallas at IMAX!!!!!

Needless to say, I am thrilled, and I will get to share that with some good friends. That makes it even better.

Part of me is sad though, because I am thinking about my birthday last year and what a great, life-giving time that was. Kyle and I worked at putting together a night where the Truett students at UBC could hang out with our staff. I think that was the time when I felt like I got closer to him, and that we really became friends. The only night we could do the dinner just happened to be the night of my 25th birthday, and as you can look back and read it was one of the best nights I have ever had in Waco. Here's what I said about it a year ago:

Oh Happy Day...

My 25th birthday was the best one on record. No big surprises or huge gifts, just time spent with some really incredible people- some whom I have known for what seems like forever and love deeply and others who are still strangers on some levels but who are making my heart grow so that I can hold even more love for them. I know that sounds overly cheesy and sappy and sentimental, but it's the honest truth.You see, I really didn't have a birthday party or anything. For a long time I had wanted for all the Truett kids at UBC and our staff to have dinner together, and yesterday was the only day it worked out for us to do that.
Josh offered up his house for a meeting place, and I spent all day yesterday making soup in his kitchen. I scorched the potato soup and blew up Drew's blender making the tomato basil, but other than that cooking was fun. People showed up at 6:30, and we had a great time.

After people left, Kelly stopped by and she and Josh and I hung out in the parlor. I told them that it was the most beautiful day I have ever had in the rootless and transient town of Waco, TX. Kelly expressed that she could tell that this night was really good for me because my whole demeanor had changed. For a night, I reconnected with one of my favorite parts of who I am. It had almost been tragically forgotten. It was like I was back in college planning something great for all the Laguna girls. Being the president of Laguna was probably the one thing that I know I loved doing more than any other, and it's the one thing that I'm pretty sure I was good at. At this point in my life I don't aspire to one day be a sorority president again, but it's always been about more than that.

Last night I was able to put into words a passion I have held for a
long time. I really love creating spaces and times where people whom I love can really have a sense of belonging. Sometimes the word community seems like a trendy emerging catchword, but last night, I realized that it has been one of the most important things in my life
for a long time. I am really passionate about building and fostering community, and that is something I could spend the rest of my life doing. I realize this passion manifests itself in many forms, but I am just glad I've learned how to verbally express what it is I love doing.

Last night I came home and cried because I was so happy. Then I cried some more because I had forgotten what happy tears felt like. I cried again when I woke up this morning because I had forgotten what it was like to wake up feeling so happy. Thank you God for knowing what I need just when I need it. Thanks for answering my prayers and letting something really good happen here.

I still get pretty emotional when I read this. That was a turning point for
me in Waco. I think I may have really hated being here up until then, and now
I'm wondering how I will make it if I have to leave my friends and my
church. Maybe that won't be an issue. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey... this is your random post-birthday message from your favorite sexy firefighter. hope all is well, and that you still love me forever. ;) --d

12:41 PM  
Blogger Vernon Bowen said...

Hope you have a great time tonight at the IMAX. I wish I could come - I'm just hoping some people show up at Gloer's movie night or I am going to be sad I missed my chance to join you all.
Happy Birthday, again! You rock.

2:42 PM  
Blogger myleswerntz said...

happy belated birthday!

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home