EVER THE ROAD GOES ON

Living the questions and trying to think theologically... and practically. Learning that these things are more synonymous than I once thought.

Name:
Location: Dallas, TX

Thursday, February 17, 2005

The Third Place and the Future

So I'm in America's favorite third place this afternoon. Otherwise known as Starbucks. Whatever will I do when I graduate and I'm unable to sip my white chocolate mocha while playing around on my free wireless internet? What a disgusting consumeristic American I am!

I just had a conversation with an acquaintance from seminary that really got me to thinking. When this guy graduates in May, he's going to move to Austin. I asked him what he was going to do and he said he had no clue. I looked puzzled and he explained that he's going to move there with a group of friends because, "Life is more about who you are with than what you do."

I really like that. I don't know if I could commit to moving wherever my friends are going yet, but I like the idea of being driven by relationships and not career goals. When ministry is your career, it seems to put a slightly different spin on where you go and why you go there. Should it? I don't know. That's a part of the whole "calling" conversation that I' still having with myself and those around me. How do we confuse calling with giftedness? Just because you are good at something, does that mean God is calling you to do it? It's another one of those things we try to formualize, and when I look at the Bible I don't see any kind of consistent formula for calling to ministry or to Christ for that matter.

Well, there's a tangent for ya. Anyways, does anybody want to move to some place cool and just live together and simply be? That sounds idealistic to me, but I think I could be persuaded.

4 Comments:

Blogger lynnette said...

juh-nah-lee

move to nashville. i want to start something here, but i need to assemble a group. a group that includes outgoing, authentic, passionate types like yourself.

o-town

3:48 PM  
Blogger Janalee said...

Ya know... I really like Nashville, and it's pretty close to home which is good. Sometimes I think there's so much going on there already.I know there's a big population of unchurced people there, and even churched people who haven't got a clue about what it means to be a disciple of Christ. Yetin my mind, it almost seems like this Evangelical Mecca. This is probably because I've only been while "doing ministry" or going to "church conferences". What's your prespective after living there a year?

7:31 PM  
Blogger Sam Davidson said...

where exactly is the thrid place? Is it the place where you go to buy spell checker?

8:40 AM  
Blogger Janalee said...

I hate it when really smart guys decide they must be jackasses. Why does that happen so much? I just spellchecked my post for you Sam. I hope you are happy, and if you don't know what the "third" place is read this
http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/P107679.asp?GT1=6110

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home