EVER THE ROAD GOES ON

Living the questions and trying to think theologically... and practically. Learning that these things are more synonymous than I once thought.

Name:
Location: Dallas, TX

Friday, March 17, 2006

Back to E-town


Back in Waco after a long and uneventful week in the homeland. I finally watched Elizabethtown, which I bought for myself on Valentine's Day. I don't know why I put it off. Maybe it's because so many of my friends have harshly criticized it, and I didn't want to face the possibility that they might be right. Maybe the events of the past few months made me remember it through rose colored lens. Here's what I think after my second viewing: Yeah maybe Cameron Crowe wrote a movie around his favorite songs. For you artsy types, maybe it is a poor man's Garden State. It might take weeks instead of days to put together a map like that. And no, when your whole world crashes in on you, there are not beautiful people in red hats who automatically develop sincere and romantic feelings for you, BUT...

...I still cried like a baby during the entire road trip.

...grief is really like the montage of Drew and the ashes in the car, at least for me. It's funny memories, gratefulness, and longings to have the ones you've lost there with you. It's regretting all the things you never did together, and all the future things you'll never experience together.

...the best loves, the most true loves in our lives are the ones that teach us how to live. I hope there will be many more of those in my life, and I hope I can be such a person.

...I still connect with that movie on a pretty deep level. It relates a little more closely to my experience of losing a parent than Garden State does, but I think I love them the same and for different reasons. I get defensive when you criticize Elizabethtown because I feel like you are invalidating my feelings. (even though that's not anyone's intention)

...the soundtrack is one of the best you'll ever find.

...I really, really want a red hat like that. Maybe it will fool the fellas into thinking my all natural accent it cute, even sexy.

5 Comments:

Blogger Craig said...

you will find no criticism from me. i loved it then and love it still.

it's the same in any language...

6:05 PM  
Blogger Janalee said...

thanks craig. you have always been my e-town ally. i wanted to run to the front and give you five when Giddeon gave a shout out this morning.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Craig said...

Did you see me look around for you?

5:18 PM  
Blogger Janalee said...

awww, no, but that's really sweet.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I loved that movie, buddy. It's lovely. I doubt very much that if I had experienced a loss someone would be on hand to fall in love with me and create the perfect mixed CD for me. But, it's still a nice idea for us romantic idealist types.

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home