EVER THE ROAD GOES ON

Living the questions and trying to think theologically... and practically. Learning that these things are more synonymous than I once thought.

Name:
Location: Dallas, TX

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Why I am disappointed with Sunday's Grey's Anatomy

I’ve loved this show since the very beginning. Maybe it’s because it is about people my age learning how to be professionals. Kind of like seminary, but in a different setting and with sex. George is my dream boy. Seriously, and I can see myself and people I know in all of the characters. Even though I’m not a super sexy, super smart chic living and working in a hip place like Seattle, I can still relate to it.

The bomb episodes were the most intense hours of television of my life. I knew it would be hard to hold a candle to those episodes. I kind of wish the writers would have saved them for the season finale, but whatever. I’m still grateful for the great television.

I think I’m pretty self-centered when it comes to movies, television, and books. Sometimes, if I don’t identify with characters, I don’t like the story. Here’s a confession for you. Hold on to your hats. I didn’t like Garden State the first time I saw it. I’ve watched it about seven times now, and obviously it a very special movie- one of my favorites for sure, even before Kyle’s last sermon. My hang up with the first time was that Andrew didn’t feel anything when he lost a parent. Yes, I know he was on all those drugs, but losing my dad was the most horrible experience of my life. How could you not feel something? It just didn’t match what I felt, but in the end that wasn’t important. Eventually, I got to know Large, and I started to understand his story and see his point of view.

I felt the same way about Meredith on Sunday night. She didn’t cry or hug people more. I wanted her to at least have a nightmare or go to therapy. For that matter, why couldn’t she twitch? The West Wing did a great job of showing the post traumatic effects of Zoe’s kidnapping and the shooting of Josh Lyman. I wish Grey’s writers would have done the same. I thought what the writers did with other characters was fine. Meredith just didn’t seem very human to me, but she is the kind of person who buries things. I guess that is a very human response, but I can’t keep hurts in the way she does. I’m sure I’ll be in love with the show again next week. Maybe I’ll even be back at the party on Austin once I get my new car and when my homework slacks off.

6 Comments:

Blogger Craig said...

Good point. But a lot of people don't get post-traumatic stress until much later. In the immediate weeks they go on like nothing ever happened. Probably an effect of shock. I'd give them some time, I bet they address it.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Janalee said...

Let's hope so. I haven't given up on them yet. Maybe you will help me to continue to see the light.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Craig said...

another thought is this: what if meredith's sleeping with george (assuming that's what happened) is part of her dealing with the stress?

9:02 PM  
Blogger Janalee said...

Oooh, I hadn't thought of that. I could make a lot of jokes about how I wish I had a George right now, but I won't.

7:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i completely agree!! i was wondering if others were as dissatisfied with the episode as i was...it is sometimes difficult to believe that only 2 episodes ago, everyone's life was hanging in the balance. anyways, i will keep watching, of course, because i love the music and although i have a special place in my heart for patrick dempsey, george is adorable.

7:14 PM  
Blogger Vernon Bowen said...

Good, now I don't feel so bad abou not watching that episode ... along with all the others.

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home