EVER THE ROAD GOES ON

Living the questions and trying to think theologically... and practically. Learning that these things are more synonymous than I once thought.

Name:
Location: Dallas, TX

Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Listen up You Silly Matchmakin' Fools...

I'm very proud of the fact that I've been blogging for over a week now and haven't really said anything about the boy-factor or the lack there of. However, recent events have prompted me to address a related topic.

Sometimes I wonder why people are so hellbent on matchmaking. I would include myself in this number, but I couldn't tell you why. There's just something about romance that is fun! We take such pride in saying, "You know, I introduced those two", or "I knew all along they were meant to be." I am seriously beginning to wonder if people hold any true matchmaking talent or if the interests grows with age. My friends of the senior persuasion tend to be the worst, followed closely by those friends who are recently engaged or married.

My family started in on me today about a boy from Waco. They meet his parents, found out he was single and a Christian, and it was downhill from there. I know people mean well. I'm sure that from time to time I give off the vibe that a male friend would be nice, but there really have to be limits.

For example, I have a friend who people have ragged me about for years. If I hear the words, "You guys would make such a cute couple" one more time, I think I might seriously puke. If you see two people standing beside each other, and you think to yourself, "Wow, they sure would have some beautiful kids", does this give a reason for a lifelong commitment and romance? Last week, someone very close to me asked me about the possibility of a relationship with this person. The subject had never come up before, and it really upset me. My friend said, " Maybe you will start talking to him. Every time I see you two together, I think about how cute you guys are." I would like to think that this friend knows me well enough to know what I really want in a relationship and that it would never be found with this certain guy. Apparently, I was wrong. My friend meant well, but it hurt deeply. I would like to think that those who know me best care more about me having a deep, honest, spiritual connection with a man than how I look with him.

For anyone who maybe reading this and has or might have a wild oat to one day set me up, thanks for loving me and wanting me to be happy. Just know that I really desire to be with someone who I can connect with on a conversational, emotional, spiritual, social, and cultural level. Keep in mind the conversational, emotional, spiritual, social, and cultural shift my life is taking. It is fun to try to pair people off, but remember how seriously I take the proposition of a committed relationship. Remember that I don't know any kind of relationship but a committed one. Therefore, how I look with a guy is on the bottom of the priority list.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home