EVER THE ROAD GOES ON

Living the questions and trying to think theologically... and practically. Learning that these things are more synonymous than I once thought.

Name:
Location: Dallas, TX

Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Welcome to my Blog!

Pretty high tech for a little girl from Kossuth, eh? I think so. Anyways, after attending the emergent convention last week, I've got a lot to process. I've been hearing people talk about these blog things for a while now, so I figured why not start my own? I've known for a while that I needed an outlet to express myself within community; this sounded like a good way to do that. Maybe someone will enjoy it, but regardless I think it will be theraputic for me.

So what's up with the title?

I'm glad you asked. Kossuth, MS was the setting for my idealic childhood. As one of my friends says, "take your second left past the speckled cow, and you're almost there." Our home in Kossuth is truly nestled in the backwoods of Alcorn county. My dad built our house in the early 70's, and my mom is just now remodeling things. Our family room is the one room that will retain it's original look- very rustic, much like a cracker barrel. My dad threw a lot of his decorating opinion and tastes into this room, and this room alone. After he died two years ago, Mom couldn't bear to change it too much.

I'm on the road a fairly good bit, and I'm always looking for a Carcker Barrel. I love to pick up a book on tape for the road, and strech my legs in the gift shop. Yes, I know it's a pretty weird hangout for a girl of 24, but something about it is like a home away from home. If I'm in Philly, PA or in Greenville, TX, I can walk in Cracker Barrel, order a plate of meatloaf and cornbread and biscuits, admire all the rustic antiques around me, warm myself by the stone fireplace, and expereince a happy rush of memories from my childhood home.

Yes I'm fully aware that this is darn cheesy, but feeling at home is an important thing. After living in Waco, Texas for nearly a year now, it still doesn't feel like home. Maybe it's not supposed to, but Kossuth feels less and less like home each time I come back. For me, I guess that home is a place where you feel like you belong. To borrow the old addage from Cheers- where people know your name, and they're always glad you came. It's a place where you can be exactly who you are and not have to apologize for it.

In my search to belong somewhere, Cracker Barrel is a familar and happy roadstop along the way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home